End the Scouts Canada child abuse cover-up
For years, Scouts Canada has covered up child sexual abuse. All across Canada, senior Scouts Canada officials knew about child abusers in their organization and did nothing, over and over again. Known child abusers were allowed to continue to be Scout leaders or were "removed discreetly", allowing them to harm kids elsewhere. The cover-up continues to this day. Read more about child abuse in Scouts Canada.
For almost 40 years, Fred Miller abused children. Scouts Canada knew he was abusing Scouts, but did nothing. Read more about Fred Miller.
Scouts Canada used to have a rigorous training program, but now has all but abandoned training for adult volunteers. Read more about the lack of training in Scouts Canada.
- September 6, 2023 — anglicanjournal.com Proposed settlement reached in Ralph Rowe lawsuit
- August 22, 2023 — cbc.ca Former Scouts Canada employee sentenced to 4 years for sex crimes: John Rietveld, 70, pleaded guilty to indecent assault in July
- August 10, 2023 — ctvnews.ca Abuse victims from northern Ont. to receive $13M from Anglican Church, Scouts Canada
- June 23, 2023 — nwonewswatch.com Settlement approval hearing scheduled for sexual abuse class action involving ex-priest: A tentative settlement approval hearing is scheduled for October 2023 in the $110 million class action lawsuit against convicted pedophile Ralph Rowe and the Anglican Synod of the Diocese of Keewatin and Scouts Canada
- February 6, 2023 — anglicanjournal.com Class-action lawsuit against Ralph Rowe heads to mediation: Diocese, Scouts Canada acknowledge legal responsibility for harm caused by former priest who sexually abused dozens of Indigenous boys
- January 16, 2023 — therecord.com Kitchener ‘monster’ denied parole: Former Scout leader pleaded guilty in 2001 to sex charges involving 20 boys, one girl